What You Should Know
- Progressive Snapshot offers a discount to drives who do well in program
- Progressive Snapshot tracks speed, braking, time of day, and more
- The program may raise your car insurance rates if you do poorly
It is important to read a Progressive Snapshot review before commiting to the program. Progressive Snapshot offers drivers an average of $156 per year for drivers looking to save on their policies at Progressive Insurance. However, since the discount is a reward for good driving habits, unsafe, risky driving can result in a rate increase.
We'll cover how much money drivers can save with Progressive Snapshot, how it works, and if the savings is worth drivers enrolling in the program.
How much can drivers save with Progressive Snapshot?
The amount drivers save depends on their state and driving habits.
Drivers in certain states receive a participation discount after initial sign-up for the Progressive Snapshot program. It's an average credit of $47 applied to their first auto insurance policy, and it expires upon renewal.
Progressive can review the Snapshot results and determine if the driver will receive an additional discount, which has saved drivers an average of $156 per year.
How does Progressive Snapshot work?
Progressive Snapshot is a usage-based program. Progressive gathers data by monitoring your driving habits to determine your Progressive Snapshot score. Once your score gets calculated, Progressive uses it to assign your discount.
Progressive Snapshot uses the mobile app or plug-in device to monitor driving habits, such as:
- Hard braking
- Rapid acceleration
- Distracted driving
- Length of driving trips
- Time of driving trips
If drivers download the Android or iOS Snapshot mobile app, they have access to their dashboard, offering additional information about their driving, including:
- Trip log to provide information about your driving trips
- Trip information detailing driving habits during recent trips
- Tips to improve driving habits and potentially increase their discount
Understanding what driving habits Progressive Snapshot monitors and reviewing driving feedback from your insurer is an excellent way to maximize your discount.
Pros and Cons of Progressive Snapshot
For drivers interested in the Progressive Snapshot program, there are pros and cons to consider before enrolling, listed below.
Pros of Progressive Snapshot:
- Discounted insurance rates
- Encourages safe, responsible driving
- Free mobile app gives drivers insight into driving habits and provides drivings tips
- Offers information that could aid in an insurance investigation after an accident
Cons of Progressive Snapshot:
- Possible increase in insurance rate if the driver engages in unsafe, risky driving behavior
- Unavailable in California and North Carolina
- Participation discount is only available to new Progressive customers
It's vital to weigh the pros and cons against your personal situation to determine if Progressive Snapshot is right for you.
Why would my rates increase if I enroll in Progressive Snapshot?
Progressive Snapshot rewards drivers for safe driving habits. While many drivers enroll in the program to earn a premium discount, their rates can increase if they have unsafe driving habits. Insurers view unsafe drivers as high risk since they have an increased likelihood of causing an accident.
Progressive reported that only 20% of drivers see a rate increase. If your rate does increase, it's not only based on your driving habits but also your state and Snapshot sign-up date.
How can I ensure my rate doesn't increase after using Progressive Snapshot?
So, what can you do to avoid a rate increase and ensure you receive a discount after using Progressive Snapshot? The simple answer is to be a safe, responsible driver. Below are tips to ensure you're driving safe while Progressive monitors you.
- Limit driving trips. If you limit your driving trips, you won't risk too many instances of hard braking, rapid acceleration, and other high risk driving habits.
- Avoid driving during certain times. Driving between 12 a.m. and 4 a.m. is dangerous, so avoid driving during these times.
- Avoid using your phone. Progressive monitors phone usage in some states, but distracted driving can put drivers at risk of an accident, so it’s best to avoid using your phone.
- Review driving tips. Driving tips depend on your driving habits, so review them to help you improve your driving and driving score.
Still want to save more? Read our guide on how to get cheap car insurance.
Is Progressive Snapshot only available to Progressive customers?
No, you don't have to be a Progressive customer to try out Snapshot.
Drivers currently not with Progressive can try out Progressive Snapshot by enrolling in Snapshot Road Test for 30 days. This program allows drivers to see how they can earn a discount on their rates if they switch. There is no requirement to purchase a policy.
The Bottom Line: Drivers are saving with Progressive Snapshot
Drivers are saving with Progressive Snapshot, but it depends on their driving habits.
You can pay a lower premium before you drive with the initial participation discount, but you can enjoy further savings once your insurer collects enough data about your driving habits. If you continue driving safely, you can maximize your discount and lower your premium.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Snapshot from Progressive worth it?
Snapshot is only worth it if you are a good driver. If you aren't, you should stay away from Snapshot, as it may raise your car insurance rates.
Does Progressive Snapshot monitor speed?
Yes, Progressive Snapshot monitors speed through braking and acceleration.
Is Progressive Snapshot real?
Yes, Progressive Snapshot is a real program that monitors your driving habits and awards discounts.
How long does Progressive Snapshot monitor your driving habits?
Progressive Snapshot must collect at least 30 days of driving data.