For more than 90 years, American Family has been protecting and supporting its customers with strong customer service. They are more than just an insurance company; they want to transform the way you think about insurance. At AmFam, they believe your dreams are important and that is why they work hard to protect and restore them when necessary.
How do customers rate American Family Insurance?
How much does American Family car insurance cost?
Car insurance rates vary by person because they’re determined based on a number of factors including your age, marital status, driving history, credit score and where you live. They also vary based on the company you choose because each company has their own underwriting process for determining rates and your risk. In the graph below, you can see the average cost of American Family car insurance compared to the national average cost of car insurance. The graph is split into four categories: teen driver, single adult, married couple and senior driver.
The average American Family car insurance rates for these profiles are all slightly lower than the national average cost of car insurance except for rates for the married couple profile. Please note that these are average car insurance rates based on specific profiles and your rate could be higher or lower based on your unique characteristics that affect car insurance rates.
How much does American Family homeowners insurance cost?
Homeowners insurance rates also vary based on the person and home because rates are determined based on a number of factors specific to you including the location of your home, your home’s condition and age, the size and type of home, the crime rate in your area, your claim history and your credit score. In the graph below, you can see the average cost of American Family homeowners insurance compared to the national average of homeowners insurance. The graph is split into two categories: a home worth $200,000 and a home worth $400,000.
The average American Family homeowners insurance rates for both home profiles are both higher than the national average of homeowners insurance. Please note that these are average homeowners insurance rates based on specific profiles and your rate could be higher or lower based on your unique characteristics that affect homeowners insurance rates.
What discounts does American Family offer?
American Family offers many discounts that reward good habits. Below we've listed different American Family discounts for car, home and renters insurance that can help you save money on your policy.
Car insurance discounts
- Multi-vehicle: You could save by having multiple vehicles insured on your policy.
- Loyal customer: The discount amount is based on how long you’ve been with American Family.
- Early-Bird: You could save by getting a quote from AmFam at least seven days before switching to the company.
- Multiple-product: Save on your premiums by bundling multiple policies, such as your auto and home or auto and renters.
- Steer into savings: You’re eligible for a discount if you switch to American Family from one of its competitors.
- Auto safety equipment: If your car has factory-installed air bags, you can save between 10 and 30 percent.
- Defensive driver: If you’re 55+ years old and complete a safety course, you can save up to 10 percent.
- Good driving: American Family drivers without any violations, claims or accidents can save on their premiums.
- Low mileage driver: Drive less than 7,500 per year? You may be eligible for a discount with AmFam.
- KnowYourDrive discount: This usage-based program tracks how you drive and can make you eligible for discounts up to 40 percent. This program is only available in certain states.
- Good student: Students with good grades may be eligible for a discount.
- Away at school: If you’re under 25 years old, attend school at least 100 miles from home and leave your car at home, you may be eligible for a discount.
- Young volunteer: Policyholders under the age of 25 who complete at least 40 hours of volunteer work for a non-profit may qualify for a cheaper policy.
- Generational: If one of your parents is an AmFam policyholder, you could save.
- Billing Discounts: Autopay, customer full pay, paperless
Home insurance discounts
- Multi-product discount: Bundle your policies together to save on your homeowners insurance with American Family!
- Age of home discount: Depending on how new your house is, you may be eligible for a discount.
- Renovated home discount: If you’ve completely replaced the plumbing, electrical and heating systems in your home within the past 15 years, you could save.
- Home purchase discount: If you bought your home within the past three years — regardless of how old it is — you qualify for this homeowners discount.
- Smart Home features: If you've installed smart home features or other safety devices you may be eligible for a discount. Think alarm systems, video doorbells etc.
Renters insurance discounts
- Multi-product discount: If you bundle your renters insurance with another policy, you’ll save money.
- No claims discount: If you’ve been claims free for at least five straight years, you qualify for this discount.
- Smart home discount: You could save if your home is equipped with one of American Family’s qualifying smart devices.
What coverages does American Family Insurance offer?
American Family Insurance offers optional car insurance coverages that you can add to your AmFam policy to extend your coverage. American Family’s optional car insurance coverages can be found below.
Roadside Assistance: American Family offers emergency 24-hour roadside assistance. It covers you for service you may need in an emergency including towing, battery jump, tire change because of a flat tire, delivery of gas or oil, locksmith services and other roadside repairs.
Rental Reimbursement Coverage: American Family’s rental reimbursement coverage helps pay for your rental car if your car was damaged in an accident and needs repairs.
Gap Insurance: With gap coverage, American Family will help pay the difference between the actual cash value of your car (including depreciation) and the money you owe on the car’s lease or loan if your car is totaled.
Looking for extended homeowners insurance coverage? American Family’s optional homeowners insurance coverages can be found below.
Equipment Breakdown: Your appliances, home systems and smart home devices could be damaged if you experience mechanical, electrical or pressure system malfunctions. Equipment breakdown coverage from American Family covers this loss.
Sump Pump and Water Backup Coverage: Your basement could face water damage caused by water backup through your drains or sewer or from sump pump overflowing. This optional coverage from American Family covers the damage caused by that.
Matching Siding Protection: American Family offers this coverage to provide you with coverage to replace your siding on your home if part of your siding is damaged by a covered loss. Your homeowners insurance policy will cover the damaged siding, but this added coverage gives you coverage to replace all your siding for up to $20,000 so your house matches.
Credit Theft Protection and Monitoring: American Family is partnered with CyberScout to offer you protection and monitoring of credit theft.
Below is a list of other insurance products offered by American Family.
Classic car insurance
Commercial auto insurance
Commercial vehicle insurance
Crop Hail Insurance
Farm & Ranch Insurance
Farm Auto Insurance
Inland Marine Coverage
American Family Insurance FAQs
What is American Family Insurance’s A.M. Best rating?
American Family’s A.M. Best financial strength rating is ‘A’ (Excellent).
Does American Family Insurance have accident forgiveness?
American Family does not offer accident forgiveness coverage for its car insurance policies.
Does American Family have health insurance?
American Family does not underwrite health insurance policies, but it does have a partnership with a number of health insurance companies and assists customers with finding the best plan for them. American Family health insurance is underwritten by Illinois Mutual Life Company, Aetna Senior Supplemental, National Health Insurance Company, Time Insurance Company, Sanford Health and MetLife Insurance Company.
Does American Family Insurance cover towing?
American Family offers emergency roadside assistance coverage that you can add to your American Family car insurance policy. This coverage includes towing of your car to the nearest shop or garage if your car isn’t running and is stuck on a road or in a parking lot.
Does American Family have gap insurance?
American Family offers gap insurance as an add-on coverage that you can add to your American Family car insurance policy. If your car is totaled, gap insurance pays for the difference between the value of what your car is worth and the money you owe on the car. It’s designed for people who lease a car or have a car loan.
More about American Family
American Family has an industry-leading claims service with a four-step process to keep your claim moving along. Step 1: Report your claim by calling their 24/7 customer care center. Step 2: An AmFam claim representative will contact you and go over the claim. Step 3: Your personal claim representative will review your claim and work with you for accuracy. Step 4: American Family will complete your claim.
American Family gives back to the community with American Family Insurance Dreams Foundation. They bring their mission of inspiring, protecting, and restoring dreams to the community and work for social impact by doing more than just raising money. In addition to providing financial support by awarding grants to communities, they also provide volunteers and creativity.
What states does American Family Insurance do business in?
American Family Insurance sells car, homeowners, renters and motorcycle insurance in 19 states. See the state American Family Insurance sells in below and click the link to see how American Family Insurance compares to the other top companies in that state.
States American Family Insurance ranks in top 10 for renters insurance
Learn More about American Family Insurance
Customers' choice awards
Ranked #10 - The best car insurance companies for 2018