The Hartford, which was founded more than 200 years ago, is a national insurance company based out of Connecticut. In addition to providing auto, home and renters insurance, The Hartford offers a wide range of other insurance coverages and products. The commercial lines segment of the Hartford offers workers compensation, property, automobile, marine, livestock, liability, and umbrella insurance products, as well as customized insurance products and services, including professional liability, bond, and specialty casualty coverages.
How do customers rate The Hartford?
The Hartford’s rating is based entirely on customer reviews written on Clearsurance. The rating is determined using an algorithm that analyzes a range of inputs from our independent community of insurance customers, including:
- Customer Service
- Claim service
- Likelihood to renew
The algorithm also takes into account the percentage of what customers say The Hartford does well vs. the percentage of what customers say the company could do better.
Discounts available from The Hartford
The Hartford believes in the importance of being rewarded with savings and credits. This is why the company offers a variety of money saving discounts to customers for home and auto insurance.
The Hartford’s car insurance discounts
- Bundle Insurance Savings: When you bundle your auto and home insurance with The Hartford, you could save up to 5 percent on auto insurance and 20 percent on home, condo or renters insurance
- Paid-in-Full: Paying your bill in full to The Hartford allows for an additional discount
- Anti-Theft Device: The Hartford offers money saving discounts when insuring vehicles equipped with active or passive anti-theft devices such as alarms or tracking devices
- Air Bags: The Hartford offers savings when insuring vehicles equipped with more than one airbag
- Defensive Driver Course: Completing an approved defensive driver certification course provides The Hartford customers with a discount for the next three years
- Vehicle Fuel Type: Hybrid or electric vehicles insured with The Hartford are eligible for an additional auto insurance discount
- Driver Training: Drivers under the age of 21 who successfully complete an approved training course are eligible for a credit on their premium with The Hartford
- Good Student: Drivers between the ages of 16 to 25 years old who are full-time students and achieve one of the following are eligible for a discount with The Hartford: is in the upper 20% of his/her class scholastically, maintains a “B” average or equivalent, maintains at least a 3.0 grade point average on a 4.0 scale, or makes the Dean’s List, Honor Roll or a comparable list
The Hartford’s homeowners insurance discounts
- Home Security or Protective Devices Credits: Owning a home with devices such as burglar alarms, sprinkler systems, safer locks, smoke alarms and more can save The Hartford customers on home insurance
- Renewal Credit: Customers receive a discount for renewing their homeowners policy with The Hartford for four years
- Retiree Credit: The Hartford offers credits to retirees and those who work less than 24 hours per week
The Hartford FAQs
Does Hartford have accident forgiveness?
The Hartford offers First Accident Forgiveness. To qualify for accident forgiveness from The Hartford, all drivers on your car insurance policy must have a clean driving record for five consecutive years. Once you qualify for accident forgiveness, your first accident will be forgiven and will not cause your car insurance rates to increase. The Hartford First Accident Forgiveness option is only available to those who have the Advantage Plus package. The Advantage Plus package and First Accident Forgiveness are not available in every state. The Advantage Plus package is not available in Hawaii, Michigan, New Hampshire, North Carolina and Texas. Of the states where it is available, the accident forgiveness benefit is not available in California.
What kind of insurance is the Hartford?
The Hartford offers car, home, business, classic car, RV, ATV, boat, golf cart, snowmobile, renters, condo, flood and umbrella insurance. AARP members have access to The Hartford’s auto and home insurance coverages through a partnership.
Does Hartford sell homeowners insurance?
The Hartford sells homeowners, renters and condo insurance policies. With its partnership with AARP, The Hartford offers an AARP Homeowners Insurance Program to AARP members.
Does the Hartford cover rental cars?
The Hartford covers rental cars if damaged in the U.S. and Canada if you have collision and comprehensive coverage on one of the vehicles you insure with The Hartford. Your Hartford car insurance will not cover your rental car outside of the United States territories or Canada.
More about The Hartford insurance
The Hartford’s website is a great place to learn more about their offerings, make a payment, submit a claim and request support.
The Hartford’s Mobile app allows you to have direct access to everything The Hartford has to offer. With The Hartford app, you can receive roadside assistance, view your digital ID cards, report a claim and more. In addition, all this information in The Hartford app is fingerprint secured.
The Hartford has partnered with AARP to offer members home and auto insurance policies with The Hartford. In addition to the standard policies offered by The Hartford, AARP members also have access to additional benefits.
- 12-Month Rate Protection: All premiums are locked in for for a full year
- RecoverCare: Receive up to $2,500 after being injured in a car accident to pay for transportation, cooking, cleaning or other assistance
- New Car Replacement: Cars totaled within the first 15 months or 15,000 miles after you buy it (whichever comes first) will be replaced with a vehicle of the same make, model and equipment
What states does The Hartford do business in?
The Hartford sells car and renters insurance in 49 states and Washington, D.C. and homeowners insurance in 50 states and Washington, D.C.. See the state The Hartford sells in below and click the link to see how The Hartford compares to the other top companies in that state.