- Esurance DriveSense gives every driver an initial discount on their first policy term
- Drivers won’t earn a discount after the first policy term if they drive poorly or don’t record 50 trips
- Esurance DriveSense allows drivers to delete trips, making it easier to get a discount
Esurance DriveSense is a free telematics program under the parent company Allstate insurance that can help you save money on your Esurance car insurance policy, but only if you meet the driving requirements. You do earn an initial discount for signing up, but the Esurance DriveSense program is only beneficial if you continue to earn a discount.
Learn more about if Esurance DriveSense will help you save money, how it collects drivers’ data, and the pros and cons of using the app.
When will Esurance DriveSense give you a discount?
Esurance DriveSense offers drivers an initial discount when they sign up that will apply to their first policy term. Then, the app will track driving behavior and offer a discount based on that during subsequent periods. Some drivers may not earn a discount for poor driving habits. Also, keep in mind that you must make 50 recorded trips.
For Esurance DriveSense to work well for you and earn you a discount on your car insurance policy, there are several driving factors that you should consider before signing up. Some of the requirements you’ll need to meet to earn a decent discount are:
- You do not drive late at night. Certain times of night are considered a higher risk, usually from 11 p.m to 5 a.m. If you work the night shift, you may not earn much of a discount.
- You do not speed. Any speeding will result in a lower discount, specifically frequently driving over 80 mph.
- You do not brake hard. The app records any hard braking, so you may earn little to no discount if you are frequently slamming on your brakes in traffic.
Esurance DriveSense also doesn’t explicitly state the discounts that can be earned by drivers in its description of the program. However, other reviews of the app of drivers who signed up for the program state that the initial discount earned is 5 to 10% (the difference depends on where you live).
Depending upon their driving behaviors, drivers can earn up to a 25 to 35% discount depending on where they live or earn nothing beyond the initial discount. Regardless, the Esurance DriveSense program will help all drivers save money at first.
How does Esurance DriveSense track your data?
Esurance DriveSense used a plug-in telematics device to track driver data for the program but has since switched to a smartphone app that makes it easier for drivers to sign up and immediately get a discount.
Once you download the app, Esurance DriveSense uses your smartphone’s GPS data to track your driving trips. The DriveSense app specifically uses a third party called Arity to track and store your data. Arity has a detailed privacy statement on its website to see exactly how your data is being used and shared.
In addition to tracking your braking, speed, and time of driving, the app also tracks the following factors:
- Timestamp of the trip, including start and end.
- Location of the trip from start to finish.
- Idle time of the journey, such as parking in a parking lot or sitting in traffic.
For a trip to be counted as data towards your driving discount, the trip needs to be at least one mile long, five minutes long, and a speed of 20 mph. For example, say you pull out of your driveway and drive a minute down the road to your neighbor's house. It won't log the trip to count as one of your 50 required trips.
However, since policy terms are six to 12 months long, most drivers shouldn’t have a problem meeting the 50 trip requirement for Esurance DriveSense. You can also sign up multiple drivers in your household for the program, making it even easier to reach the 50 trip requirement.
Esurance DriveSense Pros and Cons
While Esurance DriveSense can save you money, there are a few pros and cons to signing up for the program. To help you decide if the Esurance DriveSense program is right for you, we will go through the benefits and disadvantages of the app. Let’s start with a look at the pros of Esurance DriveSense.
- Delete trips. You can delete trips as long as you meet 50 trips a policy term. So, for example, if you had to slam on your brakes because someone swerved in front of your car, you could delete that trip, so it doesn’t affect your overall rating.
- View the ratings you’ve received. Esurance provides a detailed view of each trip to see where you scored poorly and where you scored well.
- Recalculated discounts. Discounts are recalculated every term. So if you score poorly one term, you can still earn a better discount the next policy term.
- Reduced driving factors. DriveSense doesn’t track as many factors as other telematic driving programs, such as phone use. This means you have a better chance of scoring well and earning a higher discount.
There are several great pros to the Esurance DriveSense, but like any program, there are a few cons that need to be considered. Some of the cons of the Esurance DriveSense program are as follows:
- App glitches. There are glitches constantly being worked out on the app like any technology. For example, customers have complained it falsely recorded them speeding and other issues.
- Don’t earn a discount. If you have a poor rating, you can earn nothing by using the app beyond the initial discount for signing up.
- Remember to turn on standby. If you aren’t driving, you need to remember to turn the app on standby or delete the trip, as you could be negatively affected by someone else's driving.
- Only offered in 35 states. The program is only offered in 35 states, so you may not get to keep the discount you earned if you move.
Overall, Esurance DriveSense has a few pros and cons, which is on par with even the best car tracking devices. Like any usage-based app, there are bugs that need to be worked out so the app can more accurately record drivers’ safe driving practices.
However, the Esurance DriveSense app allows you to delete trips and doesn’t track as many factors as other companies, which should make it easier to earn a discount and save money. You can also sign out of the program at any time if it is not working for you, making it worthwhile for drivers to at least attempt the driving app to see if they can earn a discount.
The Bottom Line: Can you save money with Esurance DriveSense?
While every driver will initially save money on their first policy term with Esurance DriveSense, whether they continue to save money depends on their driving score. If you are a safe driver, it is worth it to sign up with Esurance DriveSense to earn a discount each policy term.
Suppose you don't want to sign up with Esurance DriveSense but want to save money on auto insurance. In that case, your best option is to use a quote comparison tool to compare rates from different car insurance companies in your area.