Shelter Mutual Insurance Company has come a long way in its 70-plus years in business. Shelter was launched in 1946 to provide affordable automobile coverage to Missouri residents. Today, Shelter Insurance prides itself on being one of the top regional insurance companies in the country, offering insurance to customers in 18 states. Shelter offers a wide range of insurance products and payments options, including coverage for your home, life, car, farm, business and more. Shelter says its goal always has been to make insurance affordable through its agents and other employees. Today, Shelter has more than 1,300 licensed insurance agents to help its policyholders select the right coverage.
How do customers rate Shelter Mutual Insurance Company?
What discounts does Shelter Insurance offer?
If you're looking for ways to save money on your car, home or renters insurance policy (and who isn't?), MO.-based Shelter Insurance offers the following discounts to help you keep more money in your pocket.
What driver discounts does Shelter Insurance offer?
- Safe driver discount: Shelter policyholders who have not had an accident or violation in the past three years may qualify for a discount.
- Good student discount: If you have a student on your Shelter policy who gets good grades, they could qualify for a discount. Shelter Insurance requires that students must qualify for this discount before they turn 19, but the discount can be renewed each year the driver remains a full-time student, is unmarried and under 25.
- Safe driving course discount: If you're the primary driver of a vehicle and you take an accident prevention course, you may be eligible for a discount from Shelter. Keep in mind that Shelter may require that you periodically retake the course to remain eligible for the discount.
Does Shelter Insurance offer homeowners discounts?
- Claim-free discount: Shelter customers who maintain a policy for at least six straight years without filing a claim will qualify for a discount. Shelter will continue this discount for as long as you remain claim-free.
- New home discount: If your home is still under construction, you may be eligible for a discount of up to 40 percent in the first year of the policy with Shelter. Additionally, if your home was built and first occupied in the previous calendar year, Shelter also may offer you a discount on your policy.
- Protective devices discount: Shelter offers a discount if your property has an alarm system, at least one smoke detector on every level, and a deadbolt lock on all doors and windows.
What kind of membership savings can you get with Shelter?
- Multi-car discount: If you have multiple vehicles insured on the same Shelter policy, you may be eligible for a discount.
- Pay-in-full discount: Shelter offers a discount of up to 10 percent if you pay your six-month or annual policy in full instead of in monthly installments.
- Multi-policy discount: If you have an auto insurance policy and either a homeowners or renters policy through Shelter, you may qualify for what Shelter calls its companion policy discount.
What coverages does Shelter Mutual Insurance Company offer?
You can find more ways to enhance your insurance policy with Shelter Insurance to guarantee you're protected. Shelter Insurance offers additional insurance policies with options for you to customize your coverage.
What additional auto insurance coverage options can you get through Shelter Insurance?
Roadside Assistance: This is built into your standard auto policy with Shelter insurance. If you are locked out of your car, get a flat tire, or your car battery dies, Shelter Roadside Assistance is available 24/7.
New Car Replacement: Under its basic auto insurance policy, Shelter replaces your totaled vehicle if it has under 15,000 miles on the odometer. Shelter will replace the car brand new, same year, make and model.
Rental Reimbursement: Rental Reimbursement is an additional coverage that pays for the cost of renting a reliable transportation while your car is being fixed after an accident.
Rideshare: If you drive for a company such as Uber or Lyft, this coverage protects you on and off the job. Note: this coverage is not available in all states.
What additional homeowners insurance coverage options can you get through Shelter Insurance?
Personal Valuables Insurance: With this additional policy you can guarantee your prized possessions are protected. This is also known as inland marine insurance, which helps protect you from having to pay the cost of replacing all your valuables if something were to happen to them.
In addition to these types of coverage which include life insurance, the Shelter Insurance portfolio includes the following.
Below is a list of other insurance coverages available from Shelter Mutual Insurance Company.
Shelter Insurance FAQs
Can I pay Shelter Insurance online?
You can pay your Shelter Insurance bills online on your My Shelter account. Shelter has multiple payment options available for online payment including credit card, debit card or checking account. You can access your My Shelter account on Shelter's website.
Does Shelter Insurance cover rental cars?
Your liability coverage on your Shelter Insurance policy may cover your rental car while on a trip. Be sure to check your policy to see exclusions, but generally coverage applies with the following conditions:
- You don’t own the car and neither does anyone in your house.
- You have a written agreement with the rental car company.
- You don’t rent the car for longer than 30 days.
Shelter also has optional collision and comprehensive insurance coverage available.
How do I cancel my Shelter Insurance?
In order to cancel your Shelter Insurance policy, you need to call your agent or Shelter Insurance directly. You can call Shelter directly at 1-800-SHELTER (1-800-743-5837).
How long has Shelter Insurance been in business?
Shelter Insurance began in 1946 to provide car insurance to people who live in Missouri. It has been around for more than 70 years and has expanded throughout its time to offer insurance for your home, life, car, farm, business and more in 18 states.
Where is Shelter Insurance headquarters?
Shelter Insurance’s headquarters are located in Columbia, MO.
What else do you need to know about Shelter Insurance?
Shelter's website allows consumers to get an insurance quote or find an agent to learn more about a Shelter Insurance policy. The site also allows current Shelter policyholders to manage their accounts online.
Shelter offers a mobile app that lets policyholders view their policy and access ID cards. In addition, the mobile app also allows Shelter customers to pay their bills, report a claim and obtain roadside assistance. All of Shelter's automobile insurance policies include 24/7 roadside assistance at no additional charge. Shelter's roadside assistance is provided by Road America.
What states does Shelter Mutual Insurance Company do business in?
Shelter Mutual Insurance Company sells car and motorcycle insurance in 15 states and homeowners and renters insurance in 14 states. See the state Shelter Mutual Insurance Company sells in below and click the link to see how Shelter Mutual Insurance Company compares to the other top companies in that state.
States Shelter Mutual Insurance Company ranks in top 10 for car insurance
States Shelter Mutual Insurance Company ranks in top 10 for homeowners insurance
Learn More about Shelter Mutual Insurance Company
You can learn more about the company by reading Shelter Mutual Insurance Company reviews. Or share your own experience with our community by writing a review of Shelter Mutual Insurance Company.
Customers' choice awards
Ranked #5 - The best car insurance companies for 2019
Ranked #4 - The best car insurance companies for 2018
Shelter Mutual Insurance Company Awards & Accolades
- Shelter Reinsurance Company Scorest a+ Rating from A.M. Best (2-27-17)
- Shelter Insurance Named in Business Insurance's Annual Best Places to Work in Insurance (11-15-17)